There is nothing worse than waking up to or walking into a cold house due to furnace failure. While all furnaces inevitably wear out, there are things you can do to help extend your furnace’s life and efficiency.
One of the best and easiest ways to maintain an efficient furnace and boost its longevity is to schedule an annual inspection and tune up every fall before you first turn on your furnace. Here the old cliché, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, certainly applies. The furnace professionals at Day & Night Mechanical Solutions in Denver are trained to do a multi-point inspection and cleaning.
Other maintenance checks and tasks you can perform yourself include:
- Replacing the furnace filter at least every 90 days—but check it monthly for signs debris buildup
- Checking the furnace flame color periodically—if you see any other color than blue with maybe a small yellow tip, call Day & Night Mechanical Solutions
- Clearing the area around the furnace—a three- to five-foot perimeter allows air to circulate freely
- Clearing intake and exhaust vents and drain line outlets
In addition, there are things you can do to boost your furnace’s efficiency:
- Programming your thermostat to lower the temperature when you leave home for a long period of time or go to bed; a simple 5-day/2-day programmable thermostat is not expensive and is easy to install
- Ensuring your registers are clear of furniture and are open and free of debris
- Using ceiling fans—run on low speed in clockwise direction—to push naturally rising hot air down to the floor
- Using a humidifier to bring your home’s humidity level up to about 40 percent; it makes the air feel warmer
- Ensuring your garage door—one of the biggest culprits of energy loss—is all the way down and there are no drafts around the sides or top
- Using curtains at night to prevent heat loss and opening them during the day in south- or west-facing windows to allow warm sunshine to enter and heat your home
Like your car or any other machine or appliance, the less wear and tear your furnace gets—through regular tune ups and increasing efficiency—the longer it will last. Having a longer lasting furnace running at peak efficiency saves you money—twice!
At Denver-area Day & Night Mechanical Solutions, our goal is to provide you with the highest quality HVAC services possible. Our furnace experts have years of experience and stand ready to inspect and tune up your gas furnace. Call us today at 303-936-2696.